Monday, September 27, 2010

Need More Fiber in Your Diet?


This week as I was promenading down 13th Avenue in the Regina Cathedral Area, window-gazing per usual, I was pleasantly surprised by some new additions to the neighbourhood: Trees with trunk-warmers, toque-capped benches, strings of hats and felt that lined the sidewalk, and, my personal favorite, a great wall of elaborate fabric that decorated an entire side of a building.  With some further investigation, I soon discovered this was all part of an event called “High Fiber Content”.   The event was organized by Traditions Handcraft Gallery (one of the local shops) as a celebration of fiber art in the community, and is also apparently part of a much larger national project called "culturedays".

I liked that fiber was implemented as the medium of choice in this project, and found some of the creations to be rather delightful.  I think this is probably the first time since I’ve arrived in Regina that  fiber has been showcased so enthusiastically as an art form. (Not to say fiber art wasn’t visible around the city prior to this event, but it is refreshing to see it receive such exclusive attention).

 

If I had just one gripe about the project, it would be that there is probably more that could have been done with it.  While I think fiber art has a lot of potential, the display along 13th seemed, at least to me, a bit empty as far as content goes. It's cute for sure, don’t get me wrong, and it certainly has been successful in getting people to stop and observe the handiwork involved. But if truth be told, I’ve seen similar arrangements before, and feel that the execution of the work in this instance somewhat lacks in innovation.

On the other hand, I do think the display does accomplish something rather important: it introduces people to a form of art that is often overlooked and underappreciated. If this was an attempt to educate the community with a basic understanding of fiber as an art form, then I think the project ought to be deemed at least a moderate achievement. To this end, I do believe Traditions Handcraft Gallery should be commended for their efforts on the project, as well as applauded for making such a contribution to the Regina arts scene.


I’m still not sure if “High Fiber Content” is supposed to be an on-going annual event, but if it is, it would be my hope that next time around it tries to take another step forward in its exploitation of fiber as a medium. A little more gusto with a pinch more substance, and “High Fiber Content” could become something truly unique for the city of Regina. Think of something along the lines of this, this, or even this.

Again, the fiber installation that impressed me most (hands down) was the fabric covered wall shown in the image below.  Quite an amazing display of craftsmanship indeed, and yet just a small sample of what fiber's future in the Regina artscape could be!

No comments:

Post a Comment